Keep Your Pets Safe: Poison Prevention Tips
At Animal Emergency Centre, we are a community resource that local pet owners know they can rely on when it comes to keeping their animal companions safe and healthy. One thing that we want to avoid is pet injuries and even deaths that are caused by poisoning that is easily preventable. We think that pet’s safety should be a year-round job, we want to take this opportunity to remind you about keeping your pets out of harm’s way.
Avoid Pet Emergencies by Protecting Your Animal From Common Poisons
There are a lot of things you can do in your home to keep your pet safe from poisonous substances:
- Toxic Foods - A range of foods that humans can safely eat can actually be toxic to pets. This means you must keep secure items such as chocolate, garlic, onions, grapes and any pr4oducts that have caffeine.
- Cleaning Supplies - Caustic substances are commonly found in ordinary cleaning supplies. Keep them locked up securely just as you would to prevent children from accessing these materials.
- Pest Control - Baits for roaches, ants, and rats often include something tempting such as peanut butter, which can attract your pets too. Keep this bait well away from all pets.
- Automotive Products - Antifreeze and gasoline must be carefully controlled, as ingesting any amount can prove injurious or even fatal to animals.
- Treated Lawns - Do not let your pet go out to play on the lawn after it has been treated with chemicals for pest control as well as fertilizer. Pets will lick moisture off of blades of grass, resulting in them being poisoned.
Make an Appointment for a Pet Wellness Check at Animal Emergency Centre Today
Knowledgeable pet owners are aware that in addition to keeping their animals away from poisonous materials, they should bring them in for a wellness checkup at least once a year. If you can’t remember the last time you brought your beloved animal companion in to be seen by the vet, now would be the perfect time to make an appointment. For details on our approach to animal care or to set an appointment in Studio City, CA, please connect with Animal Emergency Centre today.